Saturday, December 5, 2009

NYC musicals?

I want to see a Musical in November which are really good. I've seen the phantom of opera in London and both the Lido and Moulan Rouge in Paris. I don't really want to spend a fortune on the tiks though. Any ideas on how to get them cheaper. Anyone purchased tickets at the TKS counter in Times square before? Should I wait till I get there to get them?



NYC musicals?classical music



My favorite Broadway musicals of this theatrical season are Xanadu and In the Heights, both of which got great reviews. Xanadu is based upon the movie from the 80s with Olivia Newton John, but the book is completely re-worked so that it's actually GOOD this time!! It's about a Greek muse who comes down to earth to inspire an artist to create great art. It's absolutely the funniest show on Broadway right now. Xanadu has $40 on-stage seating (where you sit onstage with the actors) available.



In the Heights is a musical that is a true love letter to New York. If you want a true New York experience in the theater, see In the Heights. The show is about the Latinos of the neighborhood of Washington Heights and their struggles as far as relationships, money, homeland, cultural identity, etc. It's also a very funny show with many tender moments as well. In the Heights has $30 tickets.



I've been recommending both shows to everyone I meet. I've seen Xanadu 5 times and In the Heights 3 times. I wouldn't see the shows that many times if I didn't love them.



A Catered Affair, based upon the movie from the 50s, might be nice for your husband and you to see since it's about marriage and it's highs and lows. It's a sweet and tender musical. This show has $30 tickets available.



I would NOT recommend seeing long-running shows as Phantom, Wicked, Jersey Boys, Spring Awakening, etc just because they're all either on tour now or are going on tour very soon, so you can see them in your hometown any time where as Xanadu, In the Heights, and A Catered Affair are new shows this season, so you'll be able to have a real unique experience.



All 3 shows I listed have deeply discounted ticket prices that I previously listed, but also check out broadwaybox.com for more discounts, but they might not be as great as the $30-40 prices I've listed.



NYC musicals?ms stress opera theater



I would highly recommend seeing the musical "Wicked" or "The Lion King" if you haven't already seen either of them.
South Pacific is the hit of the season. it will certainly still be running in November, by then most likely having moved from Lincoln Center to a Broadway house.



when you see almost anything by R%26amp;H, you realize that Andrew Lloyd Webber is just crap...
Out of the big popular shows on Broadway - the two standouts are Lion King and Wicked. I don't know anyone who has not liked them.



Of the newer musicals...In the Heights is amazing, and one of my all-time favorites. Spring Awakening is great, but as a rock musical is really not in the same genre as Phantom.



South Pacific is getting great reviews, and of course, Gypsy with Patti Lupone is a total hit.



If you want to be sure you see the show that you want, definitely buy tickets ahead of time. If you are willing to take the chance with the TKTS booth - they do have tickets to plenty of shows. You might even end up seeing something totally unexpected that you really enjoy.



Also, be sure and check the rush and lottery programs at the various shows. For example - Wicked gives $25 front row tickets to 24 people picked at random about 2 hours before the show. I've actually won them myself, it's pretty exciting.



http://www.talkinbroadway.com/boards/ind...
Most musicals are for tourists (Phantom, Wicked, Mama Mia, in general any crap by Andrew Lloyd Webber or Disney). Since it seems you are not interested in a particular show, you should do OK at the TKTS booth.



However, if you want to see something in particular, I wouldn't chance it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
noton